“All my life’s a circle” – Harry Chapin
The New Year is now upon us. It’s now January around the world. For those who don’t know where the name of the month comes from, or why my previous blog post and today’s are named as they are, it comes from the Roman God Janus. Janus looked backwards and forwards. I thought it was appropriate for posts bracketing the New Year. In addition, the name of the month January is often believed to come from the name of the god, but that appears to be a false etymology.
Yesterday I looked back. Today, I’ll look forward. I’m not necessarily a fan of New Year’s Resolutions (other than resolving to live one more year, which I’ve been successful at so far every time) so call these goals:
- Continue to blog at least once a week. Last year I think I missed a week while on vacation, but otherwise I pretty much succeeded.
- Hit 2000 page views. Last year I hit 1907. I think I can exceed that this year. Of course I’ll need your help!
- Continue speaking at SQL Saturdays. I haven’t set my schedule, but I already have 3-5 in mind. I’m not sure I’ll do 6 again, but we’ll see.
- Expand my “SQL Server for under $200” session
- Expand my “SQL Server Backups” (perhaps into a full precon)
- Add one more topic to my list of sessions (see current ones here)
- Shoot for at least one overseas engagement
- Shoot for speaking at SQL Summit!
- Figure out how to get an MVP!
- Publish at least 3 more articles for Redgate’s Simple Talk
- Continue to promote and support Women in Tech as well as other minority groups
- Continue to learn PowerShell
- Continue to learn about SQL Server on Linux
- Play with containers, just a bit. This is really a minor goal given all the others I have, but I figure I should learn a little.
- Pick up at least 1-2 more decent sized customers
- Continue teaching cave rescue
- Cave more!
- Hike more!
- Bike more!
- Have fun!
That last goal is important to me. If I’m not enjoying what I’m doing, why do it? Life is too short to hate what you do with life. If you can find a way to enjoy life, do it!
Most of the goals above are SQL related, but that doesn’t mean that’s the major focus of my life. It’s just the place this blog touches upon the most these days.
I have a number of personal goals, but that’s for me and I won’t be sharing here.
In any event, I wish everyone in my biological family, #SQLFamily, Caving family, and other chosen families a wonderful and amazing New Year and hope that the new year brings you peace and happiness.